Monday, May 13, 2013

When interviews get a little too personal



So I happened to go for this job interview recently for a post which actually did not fall under my genre but, I was desperately in need of a job and it has been ages since I received an interview call, so I thought of giving it a green signal with just one thought in my mind, “Even if I don’t get the job, an interview is always a new experience gained”.  And so, I reached my point of destination a little bit too early only to find an apartment-roomed office decorated with stands, furniture and all sorts of lucky charms which made walking a bit too difficult inside the office. I sat there realizing already that, this effort might turn out to be a bad idea as the three-roomed office hardly had three people in it including the so-called boss. I have always had this ill-feeling about small offices containing just 3-5 staffs with a lot of people working elsewhere in the world (I don’t know but something never seems right there and believe me I have had experience, make it a plural form- experiences).

 So the person-in-charge of interviewing me came out and led me to his room and started with the usual “Tell me a bit about yourself”.  Well that went okay but, after that he started penetrating deep into my thoughts, it was kind of scary because I felt like he was reading my mind, (those same questions I was dwindling with for quite some time) it was okay, but I wish he knew where to draw the line between personal and professional talk. Asking too many questions about the whereabouts of my family and my past were quite irritating but I had to, had to have my good girl hallow on top of my head and be nice and answer him (respect for elders, you see).

Eventually the talk was heading nowhere except the postmortem of why I did not pursue my dream career and came for this particular job in this country  along with blaming my parents for it and holding  them responsible for my career drawback.( Excuse me! But what or who are you? Trying to create a rift within my family). I know I should have made him stop the interview and call it quits but then again, the respect factor was too tempting to not intervene. By the look of things, I could easily come to a conclusion that this was certainly not a place for me to work in and chase my dreams given the factor that he was demotivating me to take up this job and go behind ‘my dream career’ (May be he felt that I was not the right person for the job or he was too concerned about my career and a lot of other stuff).

But I had to be thankful for him for just one question he asked, that made my decision a bit more affirmative, “Do you think that you will be happy working here?”, my answer was instant and with that I left, though he still wanted me to take a written test (for what reason I don’t know), but at least I found the guts to say ‘No’ to it (I could not handle any more of the respect factor).

Some tips to play it cool :-) 

-Well, I left with a kind of uneasy feeling that now he knows what I am thinking and what is in my mind. But relieved that I do not have to face it in future, for one thing I knew that I should not reveal a lot of personal stuff in an interview, as it gives him more space to penetrate deep into you (which is not a good idea at all).

-Also never ever be vulnerable in front of any interviewee and stay strong with an open mind and be receptive. 

-Try to keep the conversation as friendly as possible even if he/she tells you anything making you feel offensive, take it in or deviate from the point of context.

-Never try to be aggressive as it will not help both parties (you might be feeling satisfied letting your thoughts out but he may be working in a network and that can do bad things for your career reputation).

Well that was one of an almost two hour interview experience I had lately. Next time I hope I can say the right words and get going instead of making myself transparent and weak. I hope you guys might have had similar experiences if not keep these tips in mind to save your time and reputation.


No comments:

Post a Comment